Korea A Tour Of Duty

A forum for all military and civilian personnel who served in Korea

*** DO NOT CLICK ON ANY DOWNLOAD or PLAY BUTTONS - they are not part of the forum ***
*** THE BLOCK BELOW THIS ONE IS NOT PART OF THE FORUM. DO NOT CLICK ON ANYTHING IT DISPLAYS ***

Camp Beavers 1959-1960

theobaz
    Cherry
    Cherry

Camp Beavers 1959-1960

Post by theobaz on Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:07 am

I served as an M-47 tank crewman with 2nd MTB, 40th Armor, 7th Infantry Division at Camp Beavers from September 1959 to August 1960. Anyone else out there? Thanks. Former Sp/4 Theodore Bazdorf, Alpine, CA

kampkaiserkid
    Cherry
    Cherry

Armor at Camp Hovey and Camp Kaiser

Post by kampkaiserkid on Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:38 pm

I was in Tank Company, 32nd Inf Regt, 7ID at Camp Hovey in 1956 and we had M-46s. In mid-1957, the division reorganized into battle groups and we became C Troop, 2nd Sqdn, 10th Cav at Camp Kaiser along with the former Division Recon Company(redesignated Troop A) and Tk Co, 17th Inf Regt(redesignated Troop B). So a tank company became a recon troop with Jeeps for scouts, 3/4 ton trucks for the mortars and a handful of M-46s.

We were fortunate to have extremely good officers and NCOs who taught us how to soldier. I was lucky enough to make sergeant as a 20 year old in April, 1958.

Fun times in '58.

Former Sergeant Richard Bridges

wd4ngb
    Cherry
    Cherry

Re: Camp Beavers 1959-1960

Post by wd4ngb on Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:47 am

I was 1st stationed in Korea in 1960 at Camp Casey. I was a Truck Driver in A company 17th Transportation Bn. It was formed up in late 57 when the Army reorganized. We provided most of the 7th Inf Division transportation needs both truck and APCs. I loved driving the roads north of Casey, since there were very few non military vehicles on the road there. I had to drive up to Beavers and Kaiser weekly. I really enjoyed driving up through Greek Valley going the back way to Kaiser. I stopped off at Beavers often to eat and warm up some, since we did not have heaters in our trucks. In early 1961 I was attached to the 17th Inf Reg at Kaiser for 3 months with a few other drivers. We hauled the guys up to the DMZ for bunker work and clearing areas in the DMZ. I remember seeing that damaged train that was left inside the DMZ near Chorwon. I was pulled back to Camp Casey in May 61.

I pulled 3 more tours in Korea after this,
    1969-70 at Camp Stanley and Camp St Barbara
    1978-79 at Camp Humphreys
    1981-82 at Camp Red Cloud.

I enjoyed all 4 tours, but the 1st 2 were the most enjoyable. I guess I liked the Wild West type life style and action of the early years the most. If any of my Sergeants from then knew that I stayed in for 22 years, they would most likely pass out. I did pretty good on promotions there, made E3 two times, and E4 once in 12 months. Smile

Bruce Richards

maxbur
    Cherry
    Cherry

Camp Beaver late 1960 until March 1962

Post by maxbur on Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:49 pm

I was attached to Co. C 40th med tank bn. We had M47s which were fun to drive, but had seen their better days. We had a full load of 90mm rounds and at times would come loose and bang around on the turret floor. It was winter of 60 when I got there and we were just putting cement floors in our hooches and oil heaters which ran off 5gal cans that had to be replaced often. One little village we called Dog Patch was more of a regular haunt for some of the guys. We were still able to buy and wear tanker jackets which we all liked but div came out and said we had to go back to the issued field jackets which we did not like at all. I still have my tanker jacket which is way to small now LOL. While there the ROK tried to pull a coup and over throw the government which did not work, but while it was setting up they did not know how the Army would react and on a hill behind our Co they set up an anti tank gun pointing right down on us, but nothing ever came of it. While there our tour was extended because of problems in Berlin so I was there 14 or 15 months.  A few months prior to rotating back to the states we got the M48s. I don't know what they did with the 47s. It was a good experience and I made a lot of good friends
    Former sp4 Max Burkins

Sponsored content

Re: Camp Beavers 1959-1960

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:51 am